For the 1938 season, in which a new international Grand Prix ruling restricted engine capacity to 3 litres, the Auto Union engineers led by Robert Eberan-Eberhorst developed the 12-cylinder Auto Union Type D racing car. The fundamental technical concept of the car – mid-mounted engine, torsion bar suspension, compressor engine – was based on the predecessor model, the Type C with 16-cylinder V-engine. The top Auto Union drivers in this racing car were Tazio Nuvolari, Hans Stuck, H. P. Müller, Georg Meier and Rudolf Hasse.
Engine: 12-cylinder in V arrangement, with Roots supercharger
Displacement: 2,985 cc
Power: 420 hp at 7,000 rpm
Maximum speed: 330 km/h