The ‘Father of the Auto Union’ as he is known, Dr. Richard Bruhn, was born on June 25, 1886 in Cismar, Eastern Holstein. From 1930 onwards, on behalf of the State Bank of Saxony, he conducted the lengthy negotiations involving the four Saxon car manufacturers Audi, DKW, Horch and Wanderer, a task he performed with much skill and which led in June 1932 to the establishment of Auto Union AG in Chemnitz.
After commercial training and study of macro-economics in Kiel, Richard Bruhn was a director of various German industrial companies. When Auto Union AG was established, he was appointed Chairman of the Board of Management. He guided the company with great competence to its position as one of the leading motor-vehicle manufacturing groups in the pre-war German Reich.
Rebuilding after the war
After the Second World War it was Bruhn’s high reputation that made it possible to obtain the credit needed to re-establish the Auto Union in Ingolstadt and Düsseldorf, although no security was available. Between 1949 and 1956 Dr. Richard Bruhn was Chairman of the Board of Management of Auto Union GmbH. He retired on November 6, 1956 and died on July 8, 1964 in Düsseldorf.
Audi history: the “Four Rings” as book or e-journal.