Audi Front Type UW convertible 4-window, 1934
Audiwerke AG, which had been taken over in 1928 by DKW-owner J. S. Rasmussen, pursued various front-wheel drive projects from 1930. The 1931 DKW Front small car was followed in 1933 by the midsize Audi Front, now under the umbrella of Auto Union AG. The modern design of the car featured a central box frame and independent axles. A six-cylinder Wanderer engine powered the front wheels. "Type U" came from the Audi alphabet, "W" stood for the origin of the engine.