DKW Schwebeklasse saloon, 1936
The DKW Schwebeklasse presented in 1934 was an unconventional car in several respects. The "large" DKW rear-wheel drive was powered by a V4 two-stroke engine with two charge pumps. The unitary, streamlined body was made entirely of wood. Both the front and rear axles were attached to a high-mounted transverse spring to prevent pitch when cornering. This type of axle suspension became known as the "floating axle" and was patented by Auto Union.