Wanderer W 40 Cabriolet 2-window, 1936
Wanderer entered Auto Union with a valuable dowry, namely the six-cylinder engine with a displacement of 1.7 and 2 litres, which Ferdinand Porsche had developed in the early 1930s. This modern power unit with a light-alloy cylinder block provided the foundation stone for a new generation of Wanderer models that began in 1932 with the W 15 and was gradually improved in the years that followed. The W 40 with a new chassis and independent-wheel front suspension was one of the last Wanderer models with a Porsche engine. The car exhibited here, which has not been restored, shows the original condition of the model presented in 1936.