THE FORMULA E RACING CARS
2014/2015 – SEASON 1
INSTANTLY AN E WINNER
The Audi Sport ABT Schaeffler team is a winner in Formula E right from day one. On 13 September 2014, Lucas di Grassi wins the first ever E-Prix in Beijing. In Formula E’s inaugural season, the chassis, motor, gearbox and tyres are specified and provided to all entrants by the Formula E organisation. Because the capacity of the first-generation lithium-ion batteries is still limited two cars per driver are used in every race up until the end of season four. Audi Sport ABT Schaeffler, the first and – for four years the only German team finishes the inaugural season in third place of the teams’ classification and its driver Lucas di Grassi in third of the drivers’ championship.
Car: Spark-Renault SRT 01E
Final position: 3
1. Beijing (China): Lucas di Grassi wins Formula E’s inaugural race.
Lucas di Grassi: “A dream came true for me and for our team. As the first winners in Formula E we went down in motorsport history. Formula E races pose a very special challenge: you not only have to be a racing driver but, at the same time, pay attention to the energy management of your racing car.”
2. Miami (USA): Daniel Abt in third position claims his first Formula E podium.
Daniel Abt: “At the end of the race, I had to save energy and reduce pace, so I wasn’t able to maintain my lead and lost victory. Even so, it was a really great day. This podium marked the end of a tough time in racing for me. On the cool-down lap, I even had a few tears in my eyes.”
3. Long Beach (USA): Daniel Abt clinches the first Formula E pole position for Audi Sport ABT Schaeffler.
Daniel Abt: “Standing at the very front of the grid on this legendary city circuit directly on the Pacific coast was a particularly fantastic experience.”
4. Moscow (Russia): Lucas di Grassi finishes runner-up for the third time in the inaugural season.
Lucas di Grassi: “Taking part in the first car race on Red Square directly next to the Kremlin was an awesome experience. And then I even won a trophy in Moscow.”
2015/2016 – SEASON 2
2016/2017 – SEASON 3
E CHAMPION FOR THE FIRST TIME
The basic technical regulations in Formula E remain unchanged. With two victories and five more podium finishes this season, Lucas di Grassi wins the drivers’ title for the first time. In the teams’ classification, Audi Sport ABT Schaeffler again finishes runner-up.
Car: ABT Schaeffler FE02
Final position: 2
1. Mexico City (Mexico): Lucas di Grassi scores the first victory of the season for Audi Sport ABT Schaeffler.
Lucas di Grassi: “What a victory! Following a collision on lap one that was not of my own doing, I had to have the rear wing changed. After that, I was running in the last position and, even so, finished in the top spot. On that day, I managed the perfect mix of attack and defence, of using and of saving energy.”
2. Berlin (Germany): The home round sees pole position, second position and the fastest race lap being clinched by Lucas di Grassi.
Lucas di Grassi: “I would really have loved scoring the home victory for our team in front of the large turnout of such enthusiastic fans. Unfortunately, though, the temperature of the battery in my car rose quickly. That’s why I had to pace myself somewhat and, unfortunately, wasn’t able to maintain the lead. Even so, the mood in the grandstands remained fantastic.”
3. New York (USA): Daniel Abt sets the fastest race lap.
Daniel Abt: “First, a fault in the battery management system and then the fastest race lap after the car swap. The point for that lap was and continues to one of my hardest-fought ones in Formula E.”
4. Montreal (Canada): Lucas di Grassi wins the first of the two races and in the second one the next day clinches the driver’s title.
Lucas di Grassi: “I think I’ll feel proud of having become Formula E Champion for the rest of my life. This triumph was the absolute capstone and well-deserved reward for our unique team spirit and fighting spirit at Audi Sport ABT Schaeffler.”
2017/2018 – SEASON 4
2018/2019 – SEASON 5
NEW CARS, NEW VICTORIES
For season five, Formula E introduces its second vehicle generation, the so-called Gen2 Cars. The most important change it brings: every driver now only has one car, which eliminates the previous mid-race car swap. The charging capacity of the Gen2 racing car’s battery is now sufficient for at least 45 minutes of racing. Audi Sport ABT Schaeffler once again has title chances up until the very last race. In the end, the squad achieves the runner-up’s spot in the teams’ classification. Lucas di Grassi places third in the drivers’ classification.
Car: Audi e-ton FE05
Final position: 2
1. Santiago de Chile (Chile): Finishing in third, Daniel Abt secures the season’s first podium for the team.
Daniel Abt: “The hottest Formula E race so far in terms of temperature was incredibly tough. But we just kept our cool at 37 degrees.”
2. Mexico City (Mexico): Audi Sport ABT Schaeffler with a spectacular photo finish pulls off its third Mexican victory in succession.
Lucas di Grassi: “That was arguably the best Formula E race of my career: on the final metres before the finishing line I overtook the leader and still won. Afterwards, my adrenaline level was extremely high. I could hardly believe that due to my victory we actually achieved our Mexico hat-trick.”
3. Hong Kong (China): Lucas di Grassi and Daniel Abt contest their 50th Formula E race in the same team – di Grassi finishes runner-up, Abt takes the fourth spot.
Lucas di Grassi: “The 50th Formula E race, plus I’m on the grid together with Daniel Abt for the Audi Sport ABT Schaeffler team for the 50th time. That in itself was a record and a huge reason to celebrate. But then I also finished runner-up and so clinched our 38th trophy in total. Fantastic!”
4. Berlin (Germany): Lucas di Grassi wins Audi Sport ABT Schaeffler’s home round.
Lucas di Grassi: “From the moment I secured the third spot on the grid I believed in victory. Efficient energy management was crucial on that day at the former Tempelhof airport. And our Audi e-tron FE05 in its home round was absolutely top-class in that respect.”
2019/2020 – SEASON 6
Models, products and services – switch to your country / sales region website and discover the regional diversity of Audi.